I have a love/hate relationship with the Fuji selection pad.
On one hand:
- I like not having to dive into the menu (or Q menu) for those items I change often during a shoot.
- I also like how quick it is to have the selection pad dedicated to focus point selection.
- This often saves me hundreds of extra clicks an hour (clicking on the focus selection activation button).
On the other hand, I don’t like is having to:
- Dive deep into the menus to change it from custom function pad to focus point selection pad and then back over-and-over again
- Menu > left > up > up > right > right > down > down > down/up > ok
- What a pain!
- Or keep the pad on focus point selection, but then having to spend critical time during events diving into the menu (or Q menu) to change settings.
- Q-menu > right > down > down > down > scroll, up > up > right > right > scroll, left > left > scroll > ok
- Even worse pain!
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could hold the menu/ok button for about 1 second* and toggle between:
- Custom function buttons to avoid the menus
- Or focus point selection?
Toggle, adjust, toggle, shoot! shoot! shoot! (repeat)
No menus (or Q menus). Beautiful!
Fuji, can you make this happen?
*If you hold the menu/ok button for 3-seconds, it currently locks/unlocks the selection pad. Did you know it did that?
Fuji could add an option to have the 3-second hold either toggle lock or toggle the selection pad so those who like the lock won’t lose that.
The above image was made with a Canon G15 at about 1″ from the selection pad. It has strong chromatic aberration which became stronger when I boosted the color, but I wanted to emphasize the blue and orange environmental light.